Monday, June 9, 2008

Thank You, Hillary... And Hello, Barack!

(Cross-posted at MyDD)

I never thought I’d say this, but Hillary Clinton has become one of my personal heroes. Despite being counted out so many times, she came roaring back strong. Despite being trashed and thrashed herself, she’s proven her ability to brush it off to continue fighting for us working people. Despite my early doubts, I came to love and respect this amazing woman.

But now, I know her historic journey to become our next President has reached an end. Yet even now, she still amazes me with her class and her dignity. All my doubts about Hillary’s commitment to the values we hold dear as Democrats had long passed, but I think now she’s proving to us all what she will do to ensure we have a Democratic President in Barack Obama who will start undoing the damage of the Bush-Cheney era.

So first off, I’d like to officially congratulate the Obama campaign and Obama supporters here for their win. Good job, and hopefully we’ll see a Democratic President on office in 2009 who will start healing the wounds of the last eight years. As I’ve said here before, I will support the Democratic ticket this fall. Now, it’s time for me to live up to that pledge.

But before I stop obsessing over Presidential primary stuff completely, I just need to thank Hillary and her campaign for the wonderful experience I’ve been a part of. The memories made will forever be cherished in my heart. There’s no doubt in me about that. And hopefully, this won’t be the last I see of them. Hopefully, I’ll see my fellow Hillary Clinton Democrats work with all of us to ensure we have a Democratic President and a Democratic Congress.

And hopefully, many of you Obama supporters will see that we’re not the caricatures the media elite tried to make of us. When we come around, please embrace us as Democrats who want what’s best for this nation. And please, don’t say this is just your party or my party or the Obama party or the Clinton party. This party belongs to all of us, and we all need to start working together now if we want to see progress in the future.

Now that the primary’s finally over, I'm ready to move on and start working hard for Barack Obama, our Democratic nominee. Now that doesn't mean I stopped loving Hillary... She's still my hero. In fact, one reason I'm supporting Obama so strongly now is because I intend to keep the promise I made to Hillary last Saturday.

So now, I've taken the next step to ensure we have a Democratic President in 2009 who will fix what Bush-Cheney has broken. Will you? Do you care about solving the climate crisis? Ending the Iraq Occupation? Making universal health care a reality? Protecting reproductive rights? Advancing equal rights for all people, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, and/or disability? Defending the Constitution? Great, then let's all follow Hillary's lead and join Barack's movement for real change!

11 comments:

Mcguire1971 or "Curious in NC" said...

Very good post! Thank you for posting this!

I too was a Hillary supporter up until about a month ago. I would love to see the joint ticket. I don't know if it will happen. I do know that I am very proud of Hillary. I feel much better after her speech on Saturday!

atdnext said...

So do I, mcguire! I'm also hoping for an Obama/Clinton ticket... That would really be the best of both worlds! Thanks for stopping by, and PLEASE feel free to keep coming back soon! :-)

Diane said...

Let's all work together for the good of our country and put a Democrat back in the White House!

Tr991 said...

I voted for Hillary in January, shifted my support in mid-March. I want to see my (our*) Democratic party unified in preparation for the general election.

I've been doing a slow burn since the Supreme Court decided to weigh in 8 years ago and am oh-so-ready for some retribution on November 4th.

I think the Dream Team would be a Powerhouse combo!

P. A. Perryman said...

I love you and all Clintonistas!

Welcome to the General Election!

Let's go get them!

Michelle Klein-Hass said...

Thank you. Wish there would be more like you out there...I'm sick of hearing the whinging.

Unknown said...

love the site and the message you are spreading. UNITE DEMS!

alyssa chaos said...

awesome site. and congrats on the great diary. i really admire you for starting this blog.

Mike Meyer said...

Thank you, Andrew, for inviting me to be part of this effort.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing me on board, Andrew. I'm not ready to call myself an Obamanista (we really need a knickname of some kind), but up for the fight.

I think that it is incumbent upon us to do everything necessary to make sure that the state of Arizona keeps its senior senator.

atdnext said...

Everyone-

Thanks so much for finding us here! I hope you like the site, and I'm glad we're off to a fabulous start. As this site lifts off, get ready for some great material we can share with our fellow Hillary supporters... As well as anyone else even considering a vote for McBush. Please stay tuned, and welcome home! :-)

Post a Comment