Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My experience at the polls

I live in a predominantly African American precinct in Washington, D.C. My plan today was to go to work in the morning, get lunch, and come home to cast my ballot. On my way to work, I drove past my polling place just to see how it was going. The line at 9:00 in the morning stretched out of the building and down the street. I imagine there must have been more than a hundred people waiting on the sidewalk.

I got to my polling place to exercise my own franchise at 1:00. Getting in the building wasn't hard at that hour, but there were probably 60 people in the room. A lot of them, a lot of them were very, very young, 18, 19, 20. It was clear that many people were casting the first ballots of their lives.

Now I am home waiting to hear what happens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment