Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's Time to Let Go

I have been a Hillary Clintonista since before she became a senator from the State of New York. I followed her campaign closely. I bought her book. I joined her mailing lists. And I'll be honest, I first felt excited about her 2008 presidential campaign on the morning of November 3, 2004. I literally cried the day she announced her candidacy and I proudly signed up to join her.

That was 19 months ago. Tonight, in a speech that was very different from the one she envisioned that evening in January 2007 when she announced that she was "in it to win it", she graciously and unequivocally offered her support to the man who defeated her.

I have been supporting Hillary for nearly ten years. I walked with her during the highs of this campaign and I walked with her during the lows. I never stopped fighting, I never stopped believing, and I never stopped supporting her. And I will continue to support her anytime, anywhere, anyplace. And now, as the Clintons pass the torch to Barack Obama, as he officially becomes our nominee, as the dream officially comes to an end, I will continue to walk with Hillary.

She fought for the presidency for 17 long months. She donated more than $13 million of her own money. She endured relentless sexist attacks from the commentariat and the right wing and right-wing smears from members of her own party. Clintonistas, she's given enough of herself to our cause and to our party. It's time to stop fighting. It's time to let go of the dream. It's time to support Barack Obama.

I'm with Hillary. Are you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment