Monday, October 13, 2008

In the Neighborhood

SA46W8

Yesterday, I finally had a chance to walk in my own community and talk about the election here in California. Yes, believe it or not, we have competitive races here! One of them happens to be in the 46th Congressional District, where the always wonderful Debbie Cook is running. That's why I was more than happy to go down a few streets from my house to walk the neighborhood and help Debbie win!

Let me tell you how that went.

SA46W6

When I first saw a "McCain-Palin" yard sign in the neighborhood, I had some concern. I know this area is a little more Republican leaning than my neighborhood on the other side of the park, so I just braced myself for the worst. I walked by the McCain house to the first house on my list.

And what did I discover?

I found a house full of Democrats who were delighted to see me at their door! As soon as I explained to them who Debbie Cook is, why she's running, and how we can send her to Congress, they were immediately on board. My first house was a success, but would it be a good omen of what was to come?

I then found a Republican who didn't want to vote at all, a Democrat who was concerned about her husband's health care (he's a veteran and now retired from his job), and an Independent who liked what Debbie Cook did to protect the Huntington coastline. I even ran into someone who was actually registering to vote when I stopped at her house! Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by all the support for Debbie Cook I found in this neighborhood!

And really, this is what we should be seeing if we want to win this and other traditionally Republican districts. Here in the 46th District, Republicans still hold a 12% registration plurality and a R+6 PVI. But fortunately, this "typical Orange County district" isn't as Republican leaning as you'd think. Democrats like Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer have carried the 46th District, and Democrats can actually win here if they try!

I know. I live in Orange County. I've seen successful Democratic campaigns in action. From what I've seen of Debbie Cook's campaign, I know she can win.

So what can we do to help Debbie Cook win? Donate what you can! Give of your time if you're in Southern California! We can't miss this opportunity. Let's help Debbie Cook win so we can expand our majority! :-)

SA46W4

SA46W2

SA46W1

4 comments:

Dizzy said...

I'm glad it went so well for you. I'm certain it was due to, in large part, your dynamic personality and your knowledge of the issues that matter to OC. Well done!

LakersFan said...

Thanks for the news from the ground. My Dem Congresswoman is very safe, so this is the Congressional race that I'm the most interested in. She is running a great campaign. Let's hope the entire OC realizes what the GOP had done to destroy the middle class.

atdnext said...

Dizzy & LakersFan-

Thanks! I'm just glad to be of use. Hopefully, I'll have time this following weekend to finish the job! :-)

CenterDoug said...

Good for you! I'm going door to door next weekend for Obama; I;ve not knocked on doors for 30 years, but I must make OBAMA HAPPEN :-)

Post a Comment