Thursday, August 21, 2008

I know who Barack Obama is...

Not really but he most certainly is not an "unknown quantity", he's only been under the microscope for the past 18 months, there is no way anyone can sincerely say that they don't know who Obama is. Especially when they have us to share what we know of Barack Obama.

Noun 1. unknown quantity - a factor in a given situation whose bearing and importance is not apparent; "I don't know what the new man will do; he's still an unknown quantity"at we know of the man.

The Free Dictionary


This line of attack by the right is one of the most insidious out there because it makes Obama into a virtual stranger among us who has no right to run for President. And when I talk to people who repeat this nonsense I push back, hard.

I know who Barack Obama is. Of course I don't know him personally but I do know him from the many debates (22?), speeches and interviews I've read. His books are a window into his soul because of the candid nature of his personal narrative. We have to push back hard, maybe even hand out our copies of his books to people who spout this nonsense. "Here, this is a great way to get to know Senator Obama".

I also hear this meme from those on the left who say they don't trust Obama as being liberal enough. Enough is what I say! I really feel deeply about the need to get this man into office before we can expect him to move anywhere away from the middle (And yes, I'm fully aware of the argument regarding the choice between a Republican and a Democrat running as a Republican, but Obama is not running as a Republican, he's stood by many of our valued principals such as a woman's right to choose).

Signing Statements



Obama on FISA



I know who Barack Obama is, he's shrewd and he's aware of how hard it is to walk the line on the issue of Homeland Security, we should all be aware how difficult it is. Just wondering when the terror alerts are going to start and when the false alarms will begin to fill the 24 hour news cycle about half the time. It's our reality.

Some Obama quotes to know the man...


I know my country has not perfected itself. At times, we've struggled to keep the promise of liberty and equality for all of our people. We've made our share of mistakes, and there are times when our actions around the world have not lived up to our best intentions.

Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. Because it's only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential.

Issues are never simple. One thing I'm proud of is that very rarely will you hear me simplify the issues.

There are patriots who opposed the war in Iraq and there are patriots who supported the war in Iraq. We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America.

There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and asian America - there's the United States of America.


So as I sit and listen to the right spout the serious Meme of, Who is Obama, I find myself thinking, I know who he is and so do you. WE must push back on this lie, this blatant misuse of the facts. We know who Obama is and the most telling factor for me is this.

We see what has happened in the media when it comes to the mistakes both candidates have made and the perceived errors of their spouses. We also know that when either Obama makes such errors they are examined to an extent that tends to escape the McCains, yes?

I've seen this countless times as Michelle Obama has had her quotes taken out of context and had her patriotism questioned by the right. I've seen this in the ridiculous arguments I've had with those on the left who ask why Michelle Obama is so damn ungrateful. They've bought it too.

And even through of all of this, even as both Michelle and Barack have had to rise to a level that many of us may not understand they've still held on to their optimism and their love of this Country. They've still held onto their belief that basically everyone is good and that they deserve every opportunity afforded to us by our Government. Even after all of this, they still sacrifice their time and energy to run for public office.

This is the loudest indication to me of who Barack Obama is. Barack Obama is our future President. And when people tell you that they don't know the man, you must counter their attack (Yes, it's a subtle yet insidious attack on everything this man is) and let them know that you know who Barack Obama is, Barack Obama is the future President of the United States, they better get used to the idea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment