Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sen. Biden: "He's clean, articulate..."

(Cross-posted at MyDD)

With Sen. Obama's choice of Joe Biden for the VP slot (which I support 100%), we're sure to hear plenty about Biden's penchant for gaffes, most notably his poorly-phrased attempt last fall to compliment Obama by calling him "clean," "articulate," and so forth.


Because we're going to hear about that line again and again, I thought it was worth reminding folks of how this issue was addressed during the primary debates, in what I thought was one of the better moments of the election season.



If you don't recall this moment, it's worth watching the video, particularly Sen. Obama's statement at the end.


My bottom line is that there was no available VP pick who would not have presented some sort of "gotcha" opportunity for the GOP to snicker about, but at the end of the day I don't think that's what concerns voters.  What matters is what the nominee can offer in terms of both winning the election and governing, and I see Sen. Biden as a clearly positive choice on both grounds.

1 comments:

atdnext said...

That's true, Steve. Still, I'm happy. While he wasn't my first choice, Biden's still a top-notch one. OK, and he became my top choice when it looked like neither Hillary nor Wes Clark nor Jack Reed nor Al Gore would be in the running!

Yep, so it's all good for me now. ;-)

Post a Comment